Saturday, December 8, 2012

Rollercoaster living

It's a rollercoaster. I've heard it said many times...."Life is like a rollercoaster". But I always just took it as one of those silly things people say. It's true though. You climb, climb, climb slowly...knowing that that first big drop is coming. You want it to come...that's why you got on it in the first place, but as you hear the clicking of the carts making their way to the top, you second guess yourself. Did I really want to get on this thing? Too late now! Just hang on and enjoy the ride! But here's the thing...you dont really realize that you truly enjoyed it until it is all over. Then it's like, "Phew...that's over!" or "Lets go again!" Either way, it is definitely a metaphor for life.
I'm the "Phew it's over" kind of girl. But I'm also the one that has to get on in the first place. I have to prove to myself that I can do it. I have to prove to everyone else that I'm not chicken, but when it's over and I can say I did it...then I'm done.

So how does that mimic life? Simple. I choose this rollercoaster, Im over that first big drop, (there are many more hills to climb and drops to be made) but when it is finally over...I'm gonna be in Heaven and say, "Phew. It's over! Thank you, Jesus!" I'm glad I dont believe in re-incarnation. LOL.

Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of our introduction to CMT. Wyatt was diagnosed with the oddly named disease officially 5 years ago on Pearl Harbor day. That was the first big drop in the rollercoaster. Now we are hanging on for the ride! I'm so thrilled to say that he is doing better than ever, and even though Alli and Eli were both diagnosed as well, they are all doing well. However, I am a mom. I am a woman. I try not to be...but I am a worrier. I worry about just how high the next drops will be. CMT is progressive. It is not something you are diagnosed with and it gets better. Historically, it gets worse. But I have faith...so that makes it bearable. It makes me realize it's ok we are on this rollercoaster. It's a safe one. Well built. Strong. It's got a firm foundation. No matter what happens on the ride, we stand on our own firm foundation.

CMT has taught me a lot. It's given me empathy to other people with "special abilities". It's given me an opportunity to meet people who overcome everyday with grace, and strength who encourage me, and help me encourage my children. It continues to open Alli, Wyatt, and Eli's eyes to God's love for them and for others like them. I wont say that I am thankful for CMT, if I could I would get my kids off this rollercoaster. But I'm thankful for the things it has taught us. Most of all, I'm thankful for the creator of this rollercoaster life. I can just imagine when it's all over, and we get to Heaven...THE Creator will be there to give us a huge high five and a hug and say, "I was cheering for you all along!!"

I've been given an opportunity to facilitate a support group for the CMTA. We only have one support group in the whole state of Texas, and they contacted me to see if I would be interested in getting one started in our area. It's a huge undertaking. Its also a huge privilege. Pray for me to make the right decision. Bringing support in to our lives, and being able to support others is definitely a huge priority in my life. In fact, it is my whole life. I dont have CMT. But the four people I love the most do have it. I support them first, continually, never stopping. But I can do it. Because like I said, God is cheering me on. He is showing me in so many aspects of my life that He is rooting for me. I am so thankful for His support!

5 years ago, we stepped on this rollercoaster that we are still riding. We are hanging on, and so thankful for the builder...the Creator...the giver of life who is our seatbelt on this rollercoaster of life.

No comments: