Sunday, December 19, 2010

The kid with the smile

What just happened? Did I just see what I saw? Did I just hear what I heard? I think so, but Im still so confused. Im emotional. Im a tearful overjoyed stunned proud woman. Im proud of my kid. Im proud of those other kids. Im exhausted from letting him try basketball, watching him trip, watching him hurt, seeing the obvious lack of skill (that possibly comes from his mother's side). But what overshadowed ALL of that other stuff? THE SMILE. Oh geez...the smile. The smile that brought tears to my eyes. The smile that had the adults in the room in absolute awe. The smile that cheered his teammates on. The red faced little boy who wouldnt give up. The one that never made a basket. The slowest one running the drills. The kid who leaned his pain ridden body against the wall to wait for his next turn. The kid with the smile. The kid who cant stop himself from double dribbling or traveling. The kid who cant turn on a dime. The kid who doesnt have the strength. The kid with the SMILE on his face.
Walking out of the court, into the cold, limping with pure satisfaction on his face he said, "You were right mom. That was too hard on my body but Im happy I tried. The coach said I can be his helper if it's ok with you." Yes, my dear kid with the smile....that would be fine.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

oh, i am in tears! i am so proud of him for trying and not giving up. you have such an amazing son. and he is so lucky to have a mom who lets him try, even if you know he'll struggle. im glad hes going to help out with the team. he'll be a great helper!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you let him try! I bet he still practices, even if he's not on the team...and I bet he improves quite a bit!

Anonymous said...

The smile. Is that a CMT thing? The Pud just finished swimming lessons and his report card said "You're always smiling".

Good for you to let him try...you're a strong mama!

(thank you for following up...I was thinking about your basketball dilema and wondering what you decided.)