Thursday, December 9, 2010


Do I let him, or dont I? Wowza...this is a toughie. See our growing 9 year old "wants to please everyone and be involved in everything" son with CMT wants to play 3rd grade basketball. His sister plays basketball, his little brother is athletic, so obviously he wants to be part of a team with the "guys". My hopes of thinking cub scouts would be sufficient in his social guy thing is just not cutting it apparently. He wants to play basketball. Now mind you, we recently had to cut out a recess at school because of too much physical tension on his leg muscles. He just came through a bought with a lot of pain, and he complains walking through walmart. (Although in his defense...who doesnt complain while walking through walmart) But basketball? Really son? How do I approach this? I really have to be honest and tell you, I dont know. I dont have the answers on this one. I definitely dont want to tell him no. I definitely dont want him made fun of because he is slow and tires easily. I dont want him made fun of because of his AFO's. I dont want the coaches to treat him any different than the other boys, but obviously they secretly will. How do I save him from the unkind words that may fly his way? How do I cheer him on and yet be sympathetic to his pain? Is this one of those "life lessons" he has to learn on his own? What if it ends badly? What if he gets hurt? What if he gets frustrated and gives up hope of all athletic endeavors?
I have tried so many ways to provide outlets for all three of our kids. I talk with them about what works for them. Our family verse is, "Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." Romans 12:15
I think I need someone to weep with me. Either that or rejoice that he wants to try. How do I say no? How do I say yes... and yet expect the school to still modify activities for him during his school day? Tell me. Someone give me the answer...cuz this time, I dont have it.
My kid IS pretty great though, I must admit. All three of them are. Wy will be honored at an upcoming professional basketball game as a "Hero in the making" through the Muscular Dystrophy Association. It is a huge honor. Maybe this is what sparked his interest in basketball, because his mind has been purely occupied with football over the past few years. He even told me recently that he knew he could never be a player, but would love to coach. Without even crying I told him I think he would make an EXCELLENT coach! Now...a basketball player? Do you know how much weight bares down on his legs when running? He doesnt even run laps in gym class anymore because it hurts him so bad. Do I be that bad guy and just say no, knowing in my heart I am saving him from hurt or humiliation? Or do I say yes, and let him soar all on his own...success or failure seem like the only two options here. What am I missing?
I told him the facts. I told him it will hurt. Then as we walked around Target tonight picking up this and that, he looked at me with a painful grimace on his face and said, "See mom, I can play basketball...Im not even hurting right now." My mind said, "sure buddy"...in that sarcastic tone that my mind sometimes talks in. If only I knew WWKGD? (what would Kate Gosslin do?) because then I could do the opposite! Sorry Kate. I know you tried, then became a fame monster. I dont blame you...well, ok, I sorta do. Off the subject. Sorry.
Wy, A.J., E. and I all have a very open vocabulary with each other. They talk, I listen. I talk, they sometimes listen. We have our own little support group. But this Mama just doesnt have the answer to this one. So...my friends, What would you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing...another Mommy CMT blogger! *cyberhug*

I've been thinking about your quandry all AM. (And one I'm sure we will face in the coming years.)

How about arranging a family/friends basketball game. Play real periods and see how he does. If he can keep up, let him sign up. (So hard to do as the Mom...I totally get that!) Otherwise, he will come to realize on his own that perhaps b-ball is a bit tricky CMT wise. And he'll make that realization among family and friends - not peers who can sometimes be heartless.

Does that make sense??

Ridiculously thrilled to meet you!
-Nic